Do try this simple salad – the flavors are excellent together….and full of empowering iron. I can visualize the same salad prepared with golden beets and the chubby yellow-rose Rainier cherries and will post for you if I can bring those things together. The spinach and these beets are from my garden, pulled as I am thinning a good sized patch. Cherries from Delicious Orchards just outside of Paonia.
Composed Beet and Spinach Salad with Goat Feta and Bing Cherry Balsamic Honeyed Dressing
- 5 medium sized beets, 4-5 inches stems kept on, washed, sliced in half, boiled until just tender
- a few good handfuls fresh spinach, washed, sliced julienne (thinly) laid on a platter
- crumbled feta, I used goat milk feta …
For the dressing: 1/3 c. approximately balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. local honey
- a few grindings mixed peppercorns (or black pepper) ~ Whisk these first three ingredients.
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil ~ Drizzle in, whisking.
- 1 to 1 1/2 c. halved and pitted sweet bing cherries ~ Stir in and let dressing set out while you compose the salad.
Alternate warm beets on top of the spinach. Spoon dressing over the beets and spinach, then top with the crumbled feta.