Two streamlined recipes to make the very most of a star spring vegetable:
1. Two Toned: Asparagus Frittata with Uncured Turkey Bacon, Romano Cheese and Chives
2. Red Potato, Asparagus and Smoked Oyster Salad with Sharp White Cheddar and Lemon Zest
Let’s get right to it – for a fine brunch dish with great eye appeal that is so tasty too, the frittata is great. Meatless frittata could be made with slices of roast red pepper in place of the uncured turkey bacon. If you eat poultry (and I do occasionally when my body is asking for it) I’ve found an uncured (no nitrites, no nitrates) turkey bacon prepared with the turkey thigh meat which is very good – from Applegate. Asparagus, fresh chopped chives and just a bit of shredded Romano cheese is one side, the crisped and chewy peppered turkey bacon is the other.
Two Tone Frittata:
- 2 eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- a good handful washed, sliced asparagus
- dab(s) of butter
- 1 – 2 tbsp. shredded Romano cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped chives
- 3 slices uncured turkey bacon
- 6 inch omelet pan (or adjust ingredients for alternate sized pans)
Whisk eggs in a small bowl with seasonings until frothy. Heat butter over medium low heat in omelet pan, swirl to cover the bottom. In second pan, heat another bit of butter, when sizzling, add your bacon, pepper it well, and fry until lightly browned. Meanwhile, add asparagus to omelet pan and sauté, tossing frequently, then add chives to pan when asparagus starts to turn bright green. Cover briefly, lower heat. Lift lid and check for tenderness of those precious asparagus bits. Pour in eggs all at once. Sprinkle Romano cheese over. Over low heat, let the eggs cook until they’ve created a sturdy base with the asparagus and chives inlayed. Place the turkey bacon atop the uncooked side of the frittata – the “two” of the two toned bit.
Flip, with your own expert gyrations or with a spatula – it’s up to you! according to your boldness, and flippable egg skills.
Flip once more, if needed to cook eggs completely. Transfer to cutting board and slice in half with a sharpish knife. Serve up – repeat!
Red Potato, Asparagus and Smoked Oyster Salad with Sharp White Cheddar and Lemon Zest
Such deliciousness –
- 2 large red potatoes, washed, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups or to taste washed, chopped asparagus – wild if you have it!
- 1 can smoked oysters (I tried a can of smoked oysters with CHILI! ooooh, very spicy, maybe, perhaps – if it’s possible, a little too spicy to work the best in this dish)
- fresh chopped chives and thyme – a quarter cup total or to your tastes
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c. of Veganaise (egg free mayo) or your mayonnaise of choice
- zest of one small lemon
- 1/2 c. sharp white cheddar, sliced into thin small slivers
Boil potatoes until just tender in plenty of water, add asparagus and continuing boiling 2 or 3 minutes more. Drain in colander and run cold water over immediately.
Into a large bowl, add all remaining ingredients but zest and cheese. Taste, adjust seasonings. Garnish with lemon zest.
Close up? Yes please:
Plate up with cheese to taste, an amazing side or perfect light main dish.
What do you think? Must try? Let me know if you do… with spring blessings …