So simple, so delicious.
Variations – all with scrumptious kale, have been my “first breakfast” for several weeks. “Second breakfasts” are usually local eggs and potatoes, or home-made cornbread and honey, or, whim of the moment…. When I started out my green smoothie routine I was using kale still available from the garden – a sweet mix of purple Russian kale and lacianto. Currently it’s Colorado grown curly kale. For more health information on this lovely green, do link here. With some other nutritional powerhouses added to the smoothie, I can feel the goodness moving in – each morning, with each delicious swallow.
The Glorious Green Smoothie ~ O Smoothie of Love
- 1 ripe organic banana (have you noticed, organic bananas are sweeter and just taste more – righteous than non?)
- 1 big handful (generous wad) of kale – your choice, your hand – rinsed, de-stemmed and roughly torn
- 1 1/2 cups almond, hemp or coconut milk
- 2 rounded tablespoons ground flax seed (I buy the whole seed in bulk, then grind a couple cups worth to keep in the fridge)
- 1 rounded tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 – 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- a few shakes of ground cinnamon
Tomorrow morning, blend it all in your favorite blender, pour into a large glass, or glasses, serve, and wake your body up in a very kind way.